Thursday, September 13, 2012

Have You Visited Groomer’s Seafood?


Since we’re eating more fish these days, I frequently visit our preferred local provider—Groomer’s Seafood (9801 McCullough, @groomerseafood).
Tucked away on McCullough off of E. Ramsey Rd., their shop is a bit challenging to find. Today, I missed the not-well-marked turn and sailed halfway down Ramsey before realizing my mistake. And I’ve been there before!

The company started with commercial fishing in the Gulf (in the late 1800s) and opened their San Antonio shop in 1982. They move over 250 tons of seafood a month, so you know what you’re getting is fresh.
Their weekly email lists specials for the weekend. (Sign up on their website.) I’ve taken advantage of sales on cobia, blue crab, and snapper. Their extensive menagerie includes normal fish (such as striped bass and flounder), as well as harder to find items, like branzini and uncleaned squid. You can purchase whole fish or fillets. I haven’t asked, but I’m sure they’d also sell fish bones if you wanted to make stock.
Their cavernous refrigerated processing area buzzes with bundled-up workers deftly filleting, cleaning, and prepping fish for both retail and wholesale customers. I enjoy watching them while I wait for my order. The service folks out front can recommend the best way to prepare your purchase.
The recently expanded shop stocks grilling supplies, Asian ingredients, frozen specialty meats (such as antelope filets), and a variety of rubs and sauces. They even have quail eggs!

Their popular “Lobster-Mania” event takes places this weekend. They’ll have 1,500 cold water Maine lobster tails for $5.95 on Friday, and another 1,000 on Saturday. They sold out of 1,000 in two hours on Thursday, so get there early!
I’d love to hear about the fish you prepare from Groomer’s!

No comments:

Post a Comment